V11 Feature sugestions

V11 is around the corner and a lot has been added to it so far, Please reply to this thread to add your suggestions. Some will be more difficult to implement than others and it remains at the complete discretion of the developer to implement as time and efforts permit. Here is what was compiled from the both forums thus far:

• better auto stretch function for visualise an image. I find the present autostretch function a little bit cumbersome when I open images with different signal levels. SGP and Pixinsight have better autostrech function.
  • a mosaic and framing wizard to help centering the objects in the frame and rotate the camera accordingly. SGP and APT has a wonderful tool for this.
  • I have a cmos sensor and for this kind of camera is better to calibrate the images only with darks, flats and darkflats, without bias. In present version I can’t calibrate the frames without bias.
  • in the skychart it would be nice to have a button for drawing celestial equator. Now the celestial equator can be visualize togheter with all eq coordinates and in this case the skychart is full with lines.
  • better compatibility between the images saved in Prism and another software. When I process and save an image in Prism and next I open the same image in Pixinsight for postprocessing, I found that in PI the image is weird (whitish). The same thing for images captured in Prism directly. When I try to open them in Pixinsight or SGP the images are whitish.
  • better explanation of the functions and buttons in the manual. More tutorials. I am interested in spectroscopy and until now I don’t now how to process the image to obtain a spectrum profile. I use a star analyser spectrograph.
  • when I check the blink images to find asteroids, I found that I have to stretch each image manually to match a desired luminosity. Or maybe I don’t know how tu use this function. A button to autostrech all images in the blink it will be nice to have.
  • a function to show the names of the stars and NGC/IC objects in the image after doing a plate solve and without merge the image with skychart. Or after doing the platesolve, simply click an object from the image and opening a window to Simbad or Aladin internet database.
  1. More flexibility in setting up camera role for parallel setup users in automatic observations. That means, to have an option to choose if camera 1 is making pictures or camera 2, or both in parallel. Additional the option to set the guiding cam to slot 3.

2. Coordinating dither between the cameras when making pictures with camera 1 and camera 2 simultaniously in automatic observation or via the manual way.

3. More compability with pixinsight handling the results.

4. Implementing the GNS (good night system).

5. Direct object search (online) using simbad, some object like blazar S5 0716+714, prism does not find online.

6. Of course, facility to use GAIA Dr2 data and implementation of new MPC ADES report.

7. Implementation of ESO spectroscopy data library and more lucid way to calibrate spectra and instrument response correction for CCD.

• Substract MasterBias, MasterDark, MasterFlat, MasterDarkFlat should be user selectable. I want to chose to substract these masters from this image etc…

• Auto-stretch all loaded / open images when blinking a set of images. Astrometrica has this function when i adjust the screen levels for one image, i can select to screen stretch all the rest of the loaded images.

• Automatic Update of Object Coördinates: Like said before: Would really love to see the function that when i’m doing an automatic observation run, that just before slewing to the object ( in my case Comets ), the program will update the coordinates according to the actual time. CCDC has this option, and this is absolutly critical for me. Without it, i can not automate my comet observations.

• convert the guide error graphs from pixels to arc-seconds

• scale the graphs showing the RA and Dec Error and Corrections to have the same units, This will help setting the guide ‘gains’.

• a link to PHD running within PRiSM or incorporating some of PHD’s algorithms.

• in the skychart when searching for an object, Prism can find automatically a certain star only from HD, SAO, HIP and other catalogs but not for GSC, UCAC4 and TYC catalogs. Now, for these stars I make a manual search in Aladin to find if a star has another name (HD/SAO or HIP) and after that I search for it in skychart.

• when I make photometry analysis and I obtain a light curve, I can’t edit the OX axis for time or phase (or maybe I don’t know how) for inserting the start and the end time of a session or the time of minimum/maximum. Also, is it possible to include the comparation stars (with name and maybe RA/Dec) in the main graph like in AstroImage J?

• is it possible that Prism gives us some suggestions about proper annulus of a star and backround for making photometry lightcurve even better?

LIVE STACKING…PLEASE!!!

How about “Views” like PHD 2, especially the spectrograph slit and the ability to change the position of the slit. Or at least the ability to re position the current cross hair.

flats wizard. I know you probably cannot copy it but something similar when using an electronic flat panel such as flip flat would be nice.
Filter offset automatic wizard. After calculating the offsets for each filter, it would then populate the results in the appropriate location.

Is it possible to have an option to show the entire filed of view of the guide camera instead of just the region of interest around the guide star? This would be useful, for instance, in guiding in spectroscopy if you arent using slit guiding (which doesnt seem as robust…)

manual filter wheels for hyperstar/rasa.

I may work around this with a manual ascom driver or something… but probably better handled within prism.

• generate a photometry report in AAVSO and ALCDEF format; now I can’t send directly the reports to AAVSO because the prism report isn’t compatible.

• better compatibility of Prism photometry report with other software for further analysis; in actual version, the reports contains many rows and columns full of numbers and I don’t know what they are, what column/rows is for target, comparison stars and errors. When I copy-paste the numbers/report to sent in Peranso for period analysis or other software I cant because the reports isn’t compatible with “standard format”.

• further analyse function for period, minim, maximum and detrend a light curve. In current version, I can get the light curve and that’s all, I can’t find the min/max or correct for air mass.

• after doing the photometry, add a graph with variation of airmass and FWHM of that session.

• edit and insert in the final lightcurve image the name of comps stars, their magnitude, JD or actual date etc; so light curve image more editable.

• posibility to do photometry in a manual mode: now all the photometry reduction is entire automatic and is very good to be so. But Prism analyse all the stars in the field and this process is taking very long time if there are many stars in the frame (big camera sensors, lens or Milky Way fields). I wolud like to manualy select the target star and the comps and that all, Prism analyse only these stars and perform photometry. Sometimes Prism fail to find a asteroid in session frames although the asteroid is there and must I reduce that sesion in Canopus. I think, sometimes, manual reduction- click on the target, click on the comps stars- is safe than automatic.

• more simple window to calibrate the guider and to manage the guiding; in actual version there are to many variables in the guiding window; or maybe possibility to link directly to PhD Guiding because it has a more simple and intuitive way to control the guiding. I have never manage to guide in Prism because it fail to calibrate. But in PhDG, the guiding works flawlessly for me.

Session control:

• in present version, only place when I can input a delay between frames is in the camera window. But if I use this camera window to expose entire session I lost the capabilities for automation: meridian flip, control the dome, refocus etc. Please insert a button with delay between the frames in automation panel.

• in the interface of the automatic session add “a button” for taking darks, flats and bias; now here are only the buttons for lights and to take calibration frames I write the title of calibration frames in the camera window.

• Would like to see Stellarium Planetarium added as a choice when installing the software. I find it is much easier to use than the current choice.

Is it possible to add the exposure time to the images title? So that when the images are stored, it is much easier to see what exposure is used. So i can get them together on different objects and do a calibration for all the images with for instance: 60s. exposure, then other comets with exposures of 90s.
Thanks

-as someone mentioned better optimizations for second screen support
-being able to choose default window sizes for sky chart on startup
-being able to resize more windows for better layout
-faster, smoother transitions on the sky chart
-options for making consoles close automatically that show results.
-definitely a better autostretch

-color camera auto debayer on load ( this one might be me but I still haven’t figured it out yet )

1 Like

Hamza, may be its is too late but may be it is also easy to implement. The night and month visibility chart of the object selected as right-click option. There is already for asteroids with moon disturb but would be great for all objects. An inspiring solution is available in C2A charting software …

1 Like

How about a manual align when alignment is not working out well or when trying to align a comet

1 Like

can you elaborate on the issue ?

About weather management:

Would it not be interesting to see a more detailed weather management in the Automatic Observations in Prism? For instance: When the could status is : Partially Overcast or Cloudy: Pause observation, but keep tracking, do not close dome, and dome / mount still follow the object. Only the camera / images are paused. And when high wind or rain is detected: Pause and Close dome. This way you do not lose much time as it are only some small clouds passing by… CCD Commander works the same way.

thank you.