Prism Advance - 2 Imaging cameras

It seems the automation observations defaults to camera 1. Is there a way to have it use camera 2? Or do you have to switch the two cameras? That seems inefficient to me. It seems the imaging source should be selectable. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Jim

hey Jim. Camera one is the imaging camera and camera 2 is the autoguider. The automatic observation, for now, only accepts this concept to operate. With scripting, PRISM can run up to 8 cameras at the same time.

Any reason why you want to image with your second cameras? I am curious

I have basically 2 imaging systems setup. One for photometry and one for pictures. I do not usually autoguide so there are times in the imaging cycle I could shoot pretty pictures waiting for my next scientific image. I live in an area with poor skies so I’m trying to maximize my time. I don’t like having to switch profiles that require disconnecting /activation. Just another time for an error. Ideally, this is all automated but I haven’t gotten it to that point yet.

1 Like

that is a very good idea. We are in the processing of assessing/ adding features to the anticipated V11…and this sounds like a great idea.

Thanks…In the direct autofocusing section, you can pick the camera and focuser. It might work something like that. However, I noticed in the direct autofocusing tab it defaults to the last set of inputs. I have an sct and a small refractor. 2 very different systems. It would be nice if their unique focusing parameters (steps …starting point …range…etc) for each could be set individually and accessed based on the camera that will image.

Hamza,
I’m curious, how do additional cameras beyond the first three get setup? The Hardware setup box only shows three and the scripting guidelines say connection to cameras can only happen with cameras setup in the Setup box.

I’ve seen that eight cameras is a feature in the Advanced version, it’s not clear where that capability exists.

Bill Goff

You can run an array of 8 cameras through the scripting function of PRISM. A special version of the software will be made available upon request.

what does that mean a special version of the software will be made available?

Curious,
Jim